Saturday, March 24, 2012

The First Four Weeks

I've been contemplating setting up this blog for a while now. There are many reasons for and against setting it up but I've decided that as long as I'm sensible it should be a good thing to do. My main reason for setting it up in the first place was that I thought it would be a good writing exercise so... the blog is for me, I'm sorry if I come off as sounding a bit one-sided or selfish but deal with it. The other reason for setting it up is that I thought it may come of interest to any males wishing to enter in to nursing either at a university.

So who am I? My name is ******* (not going to tell ya :p) and I am a 21 year old first year student nurse at Massey University in Wellington, New Zealand. I did a year of health science last year at the university so this is not my first year at uni but is my first year starting a Bachelor of Nursing.

Student nurses at Massey start before everybody else due to mandatory orientations and admin stuff (choosing our placements, making sure we have uniforms ordered, meeting the lecturers, etc.). If you are a new student at the university I would highly recommend you attend and stay for the whole thing, apart from getting to pick your placements, all the university orientation is done on that day too.

Uni is not like school. At school you spend the whole year doing the same subjects and then take an exam at the end. At uni you cram a whole subject (paper) into 5 months then take an exam and it's over with brand new papers for the next semester. So it pays to keep on top of your course work from the start.

As a first year nursing student you take 2 science papers (mostly human biology), 4 nursing papers (mix of practical and theory), a human development paper and a psychology paper. As I did a year of health science last year I have already covered the science, human development and psych papers. I will say this, read your text books! Not everything is in the lectures that is in the tests and exams.

This is the first post so it was really just about setting up the blog but the next post shall cover my actual experiences and what I've actually been doing.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment